Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

happy birthday papa

today is a very special day.  my grandfather turns 92 today.  he has always been the most wonderful man i've known.  he's kind, wise, gentle and thoughtful.  he rubs his cheek to show me where he likes a kiss to go- he's done that for as long as i can remember.  he's the best story teller.  every time we talk he reminds me of how he had the "special touch" when i was a baby.  he was the only one who could put me to sleep.  he teaches us to love well, to put family first and to enjoy life.  he calls my kids cherubs and  likes drinking cuban libras with my husband.
last week he talked about the number 28 being so lucky.  he was born on the 28th, his first wife was too.  they were married for 28 years.  my grandmother was born on the 28th as well.  they too were married for 28 years.  one of papa's daughters was born on the 28th, along with my cousin billy and my will- all october 28th.  crazy huh?  he then told me that i should gamble with that lucky number :) 

here is a picture of my sweet papa back in the day.  i look at it daily.  he's so handsome.

papa george in his early 20's, and my grandma jan as a little girl. 
papa likes that i keep those pictures together.

 my sister has a way with words.  check out a more current picture of papa here- listen to his words at the end, like i said, he's the smartest man i know.  papa doesn't have a computer, he won't read this post.  i do hope that he has a wonderful birthday.  he is someone who deserves to be celebrated. happy birthday papa.  here's to many, many more!

2 comments:

  1. love this..got me all choked up!! love you papa! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this xoxo Aunt Darlene

    ReplyDelete